AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What will it take you to plant wheat this fall?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

thor
Posted 8/7/2016 06:59 (#5455252 - in reply to #5453744)
Subject: RE: What will it take you to plant wheat this fall?

northern MN

I farm in an area where the soils were broke to plant wheat. This area was developed to be a market for the railroad, now the railroad takes all the profit. The RRV is a fertile area that has the opportunity to raise many differing crops most rely on rail transportation to get the product to market. Basis for all of the 80s most of the 90s was always $.20 under to $.20 over, today's basis is - $.75, That $.75 is the difference between us showing a profit or not yet we plant wheat to keep soils healthy for other crops. Unfortunately we can no longer continue to farm in a responsible manner. The trends to large farms that provide no economic benefit to local community's who are not good stewards of the soils is forcing us to push everything beyond reasonable limits. I am a fifth generation producer in every sense of the word family, yet i do not own a single acre today that was owned by generations before me. Each of those generations raised wheat, i do not intend to be yet another generation that could not do more than buy a job. We will find a way to be profitable but it will not include wheat acres of a responsible percentage. There is always a way, it is our job to find it... Wheat is not any part of the future here. No one before me made anything raising wheat, why should i assume i will be the exception? And by the way i will have a years worth of production in the bin when 2016 is history, i dont know how long it will set there but it will not go to market for less than $5 to me, thats my cost, why should i lose money on a valuable commodity that is of such good quality?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)