AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help educate me on increasing corn yields...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 8/6/2016 21:24 (#5454908 - in reply to #5454761)
Subject: RE: Help educate me on increasing corn yields...

Morris, IL
V5-V6, and complete by V8 so what ever they mean by that. https://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/corn/news/timeless/earsize.html Says that kernels pre row is done by V15 for sure, maybe as early as V12 they say. I've heard different numbers but they all say about the same.

What are we looking at Brian? Those from the same row, same field and everything? If i had to bet the one on the left got set behind coming out of the ground and they just never stand a chance at equaling same kernels as the right. I'm fighting with this as well. I've heard guys say you should watch how straight the rows are, are they good indication of good growing conditions. Yours look good, mine do as well. Was told if one starts at 18 and goes to 16 you screwed up, stuff like that. I do wonder about those spilt the middle kernels, was that the plant trying to move up or down in rows during development?

For what it's worth, i have found that lot of the time a 14 is same as 16. I've confirmed this weighting it late at harvest. 2x ears, 14x35 and 16x35 were basically same weight when you averaged few of each together. I didn't find enough 18's last year to check this but i plan to this year. I think if your blessed with good weather during good grain fill and you manage it to have no stress during that time all kernel counts are somewhat mute points, I really do. I think if you have good grain fill and you manage for good grain fill, the more plants you can support=more yield. The difference is some soils will fall flat on there face when you don't have good conditions with 40k plant and some can still do pretty good, kind of have to balance medium for best average yield i think until you have a way to produce the weather, or add more plants late, or have access to water. I suppose you could probably figure a way to reduce stand but your already in a hole paying for it. I have personally hand checked and seen kernel counts in the 60k's, watch yield monitor, kill stop and do yield check right there in middle of field. I kind of wonder to myself where you are loosing potential, i'm pretty sure kernel counts in the 60's could have yield much better with more plants and 80k's but i'm just not sure where that magic number is.

That said plants like the left if they are in fact a behind plant cost it think, i think, i'm not 100% on that one. You would think that it for sure does right, but if you believe the above that plants can fill to what grain fill is allowing then why wouldn't the 2x plants next to it be able to compensate a bit and make that up? Unless of course your in situation in which plants can't flex anymore which gets back into not only tip back but kernels per bushel again. Thoughts, kind of rambling.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)