AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn nitrogen rates - revisited
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WIJDW
Posted 8/6/2016 13:01 (#5454108 - in reply to #5454034)
Subject: RE: Corn nitrogen rates - revisited

Some interesting comments. I always hear the seed guys say when asked, that trying to come up with multiple ear varieties isn't the best way to go, but this summer I had RR sweet corn that I put in at 38,500 pop. that consistently had 2 good uniform ears with 14 times 30 type ears, with no applied fertilizer. Only had 8 rows that was mowed around so I think the extra sunlight contributed a lot.
With increasing scrutiny from EPA and the potential direction regulations could go if we don't do a better job (or even if we do) of controlling our nutrient runoff, can you imagine the hypoxia and algae bloom, etc. issues that could happen if we all had Child's type fertility in our fields?
Just applying 140 actual N as NH3 I have had a couple times 10 acre block areas of a field or so yld. 300, and could have some more this year. That's in 30" rows at about 35,000, and often have had fert. guys running the weigh wagon tell me I shouldn't be able to do that. I'm long term no-till and now with several cover crop years, hope to keep hearing them tell me that. Just on principle would rather miss some yield under-applying N than the other way around contributing to some of the potential regulations and environmental negatives we may contribute to.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)