AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

questions for guys with wind turbine leases
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Thud
Posted 8/5/2016 17:16 (#5452748 - in reply to #5452539)
Subject: RE: questions for guys with wind turbine leases

Near-north Ontario, French River
What you get paid will be dependent on the size of the turbine.. I have , what was at the time of construction, a large turbine on one farm , I believe its a 1.2 MW. The way my contract is structured I get 2% of the revenue produced the turbine, sorta. In reality there are multiple turbines in the area, and the TOTAL revenue is combined, and then divided up equally ( everyone gets 2%) among the land owners that host a turbine, On top of that they pay a yearly for the land used for access roads, and the actual turbine site ( roughly a 100ft diameter area), at a rate of $600/ac. In addition to that , for the first 5 yrs they paid for damages to the field, what amounted to future crop damages. The turbine folks let me have some input on siting of the tower and location of access roads. They had a rough idea where they wanted the tower ( limited by municipal set back rules etc) , which I didn't have a problem with . Originally they wanted the access to run up the center of the farm but after my input they agree to run the road long the field edge, just worked better for everyone. Any tile that were cut, were fixed at their cost by a local well respected contractor. I have no real complaints really, they used up maybe 3 acres total , on a 100 ac farm ... I get $14-18k/yr , depending on winds for the use of those 3 yrs... can't really complain about that.... I will say that when the entire project was in the planning phases there were all sorts of concerns,,, flicker, bird kills, seizures , stray voltage etc etc..... but 10 yrs later I hardly even hear the turbines mentioned. Some folks will tell you they can hear them at night, others don't notice them at all, same with flicker.. some notice it , others don't .. The politics of 'green energy' aside, with proper planning and proper siting wind turbines can fit into the rural landscape with little to no down sides.... politics aside.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)