AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

questions for guys with wind turbine leases
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Agr723
Posted 8/5/2016 13:06 (#5452412 - in reply to #5452208)
Subject: RE: questions for guys with wind turbine leases

SE MN
We dealt with a different company. I wish I would have fought harder with my family to make sure it didn't happen. There was no thought or consideration given to how any of the construction process might affect our farms from a compaction or tile perspective. They cut every tile line on two farms, some in 2 places, with underground line trenches starting in mid April. As far as seeing the windmills goes, if your neighbors sign up you are going to see and hear them for the rest of your life. My dad will never be able to read the paper in his living room without the shadow running across the paper again. And for the people who don't have to deal with it but say it isn't that big of a deal, I say talk to me after you have lived with it for 5 years.

Another thing to consider is that they have an easement to do whatever they want to capture the wind on your entire farm for the next 20-30 years. Whatever they want wherever they want... You can also have issues when trying to borrow against a farm with that type of easement. If you have plans of selling to anyone, even a relative, talk with your lender if you have one and get their thoughts on it. Talk with an attorney, make sure you understand absolutely everything on the lease.

Also keep in mind that if you sign the lease and then have an issue you are going against an entity that has basically unlimited funds and doesn't care about public relations, as the towers are already up and they won't be trying to expand in your area again. That is a tough fight to win.

Finally and most important to me, when I look across my Grandpa's farm now the first thing I see is a 2 megawatt turbine, and that isn't going to change. Keep that in mind.

I hope it works out well for you whichever way you choose to go.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)