AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for advice spraying Paraquat. Might be the answer to Chemical resistance in fallow.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

No soil disturbance
Posted 8/5/2016 12:15 (#5452318 - in reply to #5452260)
Subject: RE: Looking for advice spraying Paraquat. Might be the answer to Chemical resistance in fallow.

I'm alot like Daniel. Spray minimum 20 gallons. I don't know if Paraquat really cares what time of day you spray it but you sure will get a lot of opinions on it. I have seen a few misses with paraquat that don't quite fit any one story. Had 40 acres that we just resprayed. First respray we have had to do with Paraquat in years and we have been spraying it exclusively in Kochia wheat stubble now probably going back to 2012. I'm not sure exactly what happened there it's an odd situation. Overall still worked good.

I'm one of those roundup mixers but mostly because it really really helps finish off the grass. If no grass I think you could leave it out and still be fine. 2,4-D/Atrazine is more important in my opinion.

We spray:
23 oz. 5.5# gly
23 oz. 3# generic paraquat
8 oz. Atrazine
8 oz. 2,4-D
1.6 quarts of MSO per 100 - This is probably pretty low but I'm cheap and it still gets the job done so I guess I keep sticking with it.

We typically spray in the morning before it gets above 90-92 degrees but on days that the highs will reach above those temps. I think that helps as the plant is actively growing in the cool night/morning. It takes it in fast and then when it gets hot, the plant is overcome with Herbicide and Heat. That might sound stupid and probably is, but has worked for us. The biggest fallacy I have heard about Paraquat is that you need to wait until the plant is big to have good control. That's crap. In my experience the bigger the plant the worse the coverage and the higher probability you will not get a kill. I spray our Kochia within a few days of the shelbourne leaving the field. Spray it small (I like my kochia <6"), get great coverage and penetrate through to the stalk and you will have no problems...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)