AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for advice spraying Paraquat. Might be the answer to Chemical resistance in fallow.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buehler
Posted 8/5/2016 12:13 (#5452314 - in reply to #5452260)
Subject: RE: Looking for advice spraying Paraquat. Might be the answer to Chemical resistance in fallow.

Scott City KS
dpilot83 - 8/5/2016 10:43

Don't drink it.

I believe advice for how to spray Paraquat is the most widely varying advice of any herbicide you can seek advice for. Make sure you hold your tongue in the right part of your mouth.

What we do, right or wrong:

1. 24 oz Paraquat
2. 1/4# atrazine
3. 1/2# 24D
4. Lots of crop oil or MSO

Some guys I trust really believe roundup is important to throw in the mix. I'm not sure so I guess we don't.

I've heard carrier rates from 4 GPA to 30 GPA. We do 20 to 25.

Nozzles that aim backwards and forwards are worthwhile I think.

I believe our best results have come from a y splitter and then two regular nozzles so you have one regular nozzle aiming forward and one regular nozzle aiming back.

If you spray big weeds (maybe any weeds) be prepared to come back with a second shot after you burn the exterior of the plant down. If the leaves are blocking you from getting to other parts of the plant, you won't kill the plant.

Be darned careful. Don't let it get on you. Use shuttles instead of jugs. Get a shuttle of crop oil or MSO too as you use a lot of it if you're doing high GPA.

Good luck.

You can get away with 24 oz? Is that a 2 lb product? I use 48 of a 2#, 32 of a 3#.

We wait until the kochia is about to pollenate then drop the bomb.

48 oz. of the cheapest paraquat I can get
12 oz D <---Not sure we need this, but they tell me it heats it up.
2 dry oz of Metribuzin - Everybody tells me you need a photosynthesis inhibitor. Sencor is cheaper and there aren't any residual issues. I've used atrazine (and even got it rained in!) and it didn't even keep the wheat out so I go cheap.
COC - Everyone is selling high load oil with surfactants

Coverage is key. I used to spray 20GPA with turbo tees. I bought some twin nozzles and went down to 15 GPA.

I've sprayed in heat. If it's dusty, you'll have tracks. Watch the wind. If one droplet of glyphosate gets away it's below the threshold of killing a plant. A droplet of paraquat gets away, and it is going to kill cells on your neighbors plants. Then he's mad.

Everybody has always told me that it burns too quick to take up any glyphosate.

Edited by Buehler 8/5/2016 12:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)