AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wow, expensive
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rollinsorchards
Posted 8/5/2016 07:50 (#5451876 - in reply to #5451117)
Subject: RE: Wow, expensive

Garland Maine
A Raven 440 is an automatic rate control. It will likely have a radar speed sensor and a flow meter. Those two things will combine to display the rate per acre you are applying and will try to adjust either the pump speed or valve opening depending on setup to spray the desired rate per acre. There are of course physical limitations caused by spray tips that means the Raven can only do so much. I believe the 440 will beep at you if you are off rate so you pay attention.

There are a lot of options for keeping track of where you are in the field. Several people have outlined the cheap ones. If the sprayer has foam markers it is handy to drop a blob of foam like shaving cream every so often as you go along. If it doesn't have foam markers I would invest in a gps guidance for the tractor before spending money on a foam system. Good buys in the classified section here could get you an economy guidance system that would map your progress across the field for a few thousand. Would need to verify, but I think you could get a raven viper and it would swap in place of the 440. Then you need a GPS receiver globe to feed position data to the viper.

I got a gps app for my iPhone called "farm spray gps" which is a good assistant if you have a foam marker or are counting rows. It isn't accurate enough to use on its own.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)