AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IVT fuel consumption -- Nebraska tractor tests
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

kinzepower
Posted 10/23/2006 11:06 (#54442 - in reply to #54417)
Subject: Re: IVT fuel consumption -- Nebraska tractor tests

SW Ontario
Fuel efficientcy is going to depend on the application. I have a 7920 IVT and so far it is at least as good as the 7810 it replaced. This tractor is more of a utilty machine though, so the tranny can be a bigger advantage. I would think if most of the work you were doing with it was heavy draft, then the gear might me a better choice.

Here is a couple posts I had on another forum.

Well...
According to the Nebraska tests who perform unbiased tests using high tech equipment, that is not the case. Go to their website and see for your self, but here are some examples.

........................Max.pto.hp@[email protected]
..................................................hp.hr/gal................................................hp.hr/gal

Fendt 818 vario...........171.10@[email protected]
JD 7810 IVT................167.58@[email protected]
JD 7820 20 speed........174.31@[email protected]

According to Nebraska, the Fendt had the WORST efficiency both in fuel and transmission of these three. I also didn't realize that I was using a 7810ivt instead of an 7820 in these tests.
Anyway you get the picture.

Now having said that, I belive the IVT or Vario will make a huge difference in fuel depending on the job they are doing. If the job is a high draft opeation needing steady full power, I bet they will be worse. If it is a job like manure tanking where road travel with light loads is the case, then the savings maybe huge.

Agcodealer, where on earth did you come up with that number, it is not even believable, at least not to me. I have got to go with an unbiased test, not sales literature.
To add to this, I just bought a 7920IVT, and just love the transmission. I will never go back. This tractor is a utility tractor, planting, hauling crops, bean pulling, snow removal, loader work etc...so it can really shine.

Here some more...
........................Max.pto.hp@[email protected]
..................................................hp.hr/gal................................................hp.hr/gal

Fendt 926 vario...........267.40@[email protected]
JD 8430 IVT................283.18@[email protected]
JD 8430 16 speed........289.26@[email protected]

Keep in find these are FULL power tests, they also have reduced power tests as well, have a look. For some reason they don't have the Fendt in auto mode in reduced power tests.

Now according to these numbers in terms of transmission efficiency, it ranks Deere 16 sp, Deere IVT and then Fendt Vario.

Apples to apples with the 8430's the gear tanny is still the best, but in the field it will tell a different story. To reiterate, if it is steady heavy pulling on flat ground where gear changes are not required AND the motor is in it's peak efficiency range, then the gear will be better. This however rarely happens, and thus the IVT can change with the conditions to make it more efficient.

Now comparing the Deere to the Vario, I don't know where to go from here. The Nebraska tests are done to eliminate variables to give an accurate comparison. This however may NOT be what happens in the field.
For instance, on my 7920, if I leave it in auto mode during heavy pulling, the rpm's stay at about 1900. But according to the NE test, the most power and fuel economy comes in at 1750. So I know now to set the max rpm at 1750, and let the computer do the rest. In other words, the software on these machines can certainly impact fuel usage.
In my experience, my 7920 does not draw down the motor fast enough or low enough to get the best results. I have been able to prove this by watching the gals/acres on the console read-out and over-riding some of the shift characteristics.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)