AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Its too hot to walk beans....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Stormwatcher
Posted 7/24/2016 14:09 (#5429677 - in reply to #5429068)
Subject: RE: Its too hot to walk beans....

WCMO-SWMO Area
50 plus years ago in Dads opinion it was never too hot to walk beans...We did it all the time...We also often walked milo fields getting rid of shatter cane..We had 10 cows to milk every morning and evening plus chickens and hogs to care for..

In 1961 we were only farming 160 acres with 18 acres in beans..It rained and rained and we never got the beans cultivated...The field turned in to a jungle with weeds 6 ft tall in a few places....The cultivator would plug in 5 feet...

Starting in early July,I,my brother,and Dad did that entire 18 acres by hand often only getting a little over 1 acre per day done..It took 2 weeks...They made 23 bushels per acre instead of 0...With only 160 acres we couldn't afford to lose one single foot of any crop...It was a matter of survival..Did any of us enjoy it,NO!!I hated it but I liked to eat...Things are much-much different today...

There are lots of weedy beans in my area this year...Probably,more than I've seen in many years..I saw one 40 acre field that just as well be mowed down..

Edited by Stormwatcher 7/24/2016 14:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)