AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heat and dry weather
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 7/24/2016 08:02 (#5428954 - in reply to #5428882)
Subject: RE: Heat and dry weather

North Central Illinois
I think a lot of the areas you have referenced got pretty good rains before the heat which helped turn things around. There are still pockets that are suffering and are in dire straights. There was a pretty big area that was very dry in June with stressed corn. Those areas got rain in the nick of time which saved the crop. They likely lost some yield though. How much yield was lost is the 14 billion bushel question. A very large part of the cornbelt has had little stress throughout the summer and is looking super. I don't know where we end up for a national yield but common sense tells me we could be close to 170 even with some issues. If every acre was well watered and had no stress we would have a yield that would blow your doors off. Bottom line is we can have issues and still raise really big crops. This one is not in the bin yet but things look pretty good. I am more concerned about the soybean crop at this time. The bean crop has a long way to go and seems really vulnerable to disease at this point with a lot of rain and high humidity. If you get disease in late July or early August and then turn hot and dry late in August the bean crop could shrink in a hurry.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)