AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone grow wheat in Iowa???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

masseyharris74
Posted 7/23/2016 22:34 (#5428589 - in reply to #5428142)
Subject: RE: Anyone grow wheat in Iowa???

NWIL
2016 was our first year growing SRW wheat in NW Illinois just south of I-80. I think we just got lucky with nice growing conditions. The field was in 2nd year of organic transition. We drilled into dry conditions first week of October that eventually turned into a nice stand. I frost seeded medium red clover in late February and have an excellent stand out as well. We just finished harvest this past week.. I ended up putting it through the drier as it never dried down with the wet weather. Yield average is in the 90's somewhere. I hate to take it to the river and get nothing for it, but I can't find any demand for SRW wheat in transition... I might save some for cover crop in our conventional fields going to soybeans. Test weight was 60lb just a beautiful weed free field with no lodging. I may never see a better wheat harvest here. It was easy to manage, but I just won't make any money this year on that field... Next year will be certified, hoping for a nice corn crop. A neighbor had very high wheat yields in the 120+ bpa.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)