AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone grow wheat in Iowa???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 7/23/2016 19:59 (#5428238 - in reply to #5428185)
Subject: RE: Anyone grow wheat in Iowa???

I haven't detected any markets in central Iowa for wheat. I've known of a small patch of summer wheat grown simply to demonstrate a combine. Years ago I recall reading an ISU extension bulletin that said there weren't any winter wehat varieties suited for growth in Iowa. I haven't looked for that topic in at least 20 years, there might be some good information available from them.

There was much wheat grown in Iowa before about 1895, then it disappeared from Iowa moving north and west to dryer climates. I suspect the typical high humidity was very good for growing fungi and that was the major reason the crop moved out of Iowa.

Albert Lea Seed House spring 2016 catalog shows spring wheat and says go to their website http://www.alseed.com for winter wheat. Being not very far north of Iowa they might know of varieties that will survive in Iowa and have a supply available.

I learned the hard way a couple decades ago that no matter how great a crop I grew, it wasn't worth growing if there wasn't a market nearby. Your cows might be your market.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)