AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is there money in wheat?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 7/22/2016 17:17 (#5425963 - in reply to #5425760)
Subject: RE: Is there money in wheat?

Sanilac Co. Michigan
SmallTimeFarmer - 7/22/2016 14:54

I was just noticing the the crop rotation around the area.
Two farmers have a 50/50 rotation of soybeans and wheat.
Three of the largest farmers around are pretty heavy into wheat.
Hard winter wheat is what's grown around here. Average yield is around 90-100 bushel. Last year was exceptional, 120+

I can't seem to make wheat pencil out like a corn/soybean rotation. I talked to a guy a few weeks ago and he said he'll probably start planting more wheat.
Those guys must know something I don't?

Are you sure it's hard red winter wheat? You can make some money on wheat, but there's a lot of if's to consider. If you can get it in relatively early, like last week of September or first week of October you've got a leg up over the last of October or first of November. Just a lot more potential. If your rotation let's you follow a legume with wheat you might be a whole lot less prone to head scab than if you follow corn...any corn, even silage! If you're willing to spend the bucks to feed a high yielding wheat crop and use quality, treated seed, and sow enough seed to get a strong stand going into dormancy. If you're willing to make several trips across the field between green up and harvest for herbicide, insecticide, fungicide and fertiliser and the capability to make those applications yourself (custom app at $6 to 8$ per acre cuts into the profits, particularly when SRWW is under $3.5/bu.) And finally, if your a sharp marketer, know your C.O.P. and can forward contract a profit.

Truth of the matter is this is a pretty tight margin crop. I really don't see how you can grow a high yielding (100 bu.+) wheat crop for much less than $275/acre...and that's not figuring any custom application or machine expense, just out of pocket costs. Toss in a hard winter and a crappy spring along with high vom levels or poor falling numbers and it's no longer much fun, is it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)