AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insulating a floor(Home machinery?)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

kggonzo
Posted 12/21/2008 16:29 (#542406 - in reply to #542076)
Subject: Re: Insulating a floor(Home machinery?)

Northeast Nebraska and Candelaria Philippines
Stick-eye. If 3 inches of foam will give you R-21 they are most likely using a 2 lb closed cell foam. Since this is closed cell, there is no vapor barrier required. This is the premium of spray foam products. However you will pay a premium for it. From a sprayers standpoint, we love it because it is very easy to spray. You will not have any issues with moisture accumulating. Also there is no trimming of foam required. I would be courious as to what price you were quoted.

The other option you would have is 1/2 lb foam with an R value of 3.9 per inch. With 5.5 inches you can still achive the R 21. 1/2 foam is not a vapor barrier. Please keep in mind there is a difference between air barrier and vapor barrier.

There is a huge debate in the foam industry between people that spray 1/2 lb and 2 lb. Lots of bad mouthing, and mis information. I spray both products. I would agree that 2 lb foam is better but the question of if it is worth more has to come from you. I suppose it depends on if you are planning on living there 10 years or 50 years. Whichever way you decide to go, you will be very happy with the results. Spray foam is the best insulation available today.

What are you doing in the ceiling? The ceiling amounts to about 60-70% of insulation by volume in a home. There are several options available. We reconmend R 44 in the ceiling. This can be achived by 13 inches of 1/2 foam. or 6.5 inches of 2 lb foam. However what i reconmend is spraying 1 inch of 2 lb foam and then blowing cellulose on top. This way you get the benifits of both types of insulation and lower the cost as well. I would be glad to give you an estimate on your home if you are interested.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)