AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hot weather on Corn and Soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 7/20/2016 23:16 (#5422721 - in reply to #5422637)
Subject: RE: Hot weather on Corn and Soybeans

Nevada, Iowa
Ty-

Seems like we've been blessed with cooler than average summers the last ten years or more, with some exceptions of course. What we are getting this summer seems a little more like what I would call normal when I was a kid. What this translates to in yield will remain a mystery to me until harvest but I will say that we used to have good yields back in the day with warmer temps as long as there was adequate moisture. Will also say that a cooler wetter August will always produce the optimum result with prolonged grain fill and better test weight. If this heat remains in place without a break and the moisture shuts off, it will cut significant bushels. I like to smile a bit to myself about early yield checks and the speculation of 250+ bu. corn, while there is excellent potential now, the climate still dictates what we will scale this fall and there are many variables yet to be seen.

About all we can say with any surety at this point is - excessive heat units generally equate to earlier harvests and very early harvests will often equate to lower yields.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)