AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is this the new Bacterial Streak? SC Nebraska
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

R2farm
Posted 7/20/2016 18:53 (#5422157 - in reply to #5421950)
Subject: RE: Is this the new Bacterial Streak? SC Nebraska

sw Nebraska
Short answer is yes. We seem to be the hotspot in SW NE. Growers urged to send samples to the UNL test lab. From my Local UNL extension agronomy person.

Hi all,

If you have seen the symptoms (see attached pictures and picture below) on your corn plants, you probably have Xanthomonas Bacterial Disease of Corn. Disease has never been reported in US, and we know that SW Nebraska is a hot spot and spreading through the region very fast.

To speed up the process of becoming familiar with this disease and learning how to manage it, we are inviting farmers and consultants to collect samples and send them to our pathology labs for conformation. Tamra Jackson from UNL and Kirk Broders from CSU are both working on it; Tamra already hired a PhD student to work on management strategies of this disease.

I have survey packets that you can pick up at the Extension office or just give me a call 402-318-1124 and I’ll give you some. They have prepaid mailing envelope, submission form, zip bag for leaf samples, pictures of disease. Submission forms are easy to fill and has some management information that you can include with it (e.g. hybrid). The more information you give us the better.

If you don’t have survey packet you can send forms to address below, making sure to indicate Xanthomonas project, so you are not billed for it.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Department of Plant Pathology

Xanthomonas

448 Plant Science Hall

P.O. Box 830722

Lincoln, NE 68501

Edited by R2farm 7/20/2016 18:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread