AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2016 Plot Update: 7/19/16
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buck S
Posted 7/19/2016 21:42 (#5420719)
Subject: 2016 Plot Update: 7/19/16

McLeod County, MN

Got a chance to finally get back into the plot yesterday. About 1/3 of the plot looks absolutely phenomenal. 1/3 of it looks ok. the last third might as well be plowed under. These different hybrids are sure having trouble separating from each other this year. That was not the case last year at all. Right now there is nothing that I hate out there. In fact, I like most of them. Any problems I am having out there is mostly from too much rain and last year's residue.

Check DK 46-36ss- One of the earliest corns out there and its showing it.  It has more developed cobs than most.  It is quite short.  Mostly 8-9 feet.  Even shorter where it got wet feet.  Good stalks right now, and looks pretty healthy. No greensnap observed.  

Gold Country 96-21ss-  I would say this one is looking better than the check right now.  Seems not to have as high of N requirement.  This plant is about 8.5-9.5 feet tall.  Ear is mid height.  Pulled on cob and it looked like 18 x 38/40.  Great stalks.  No greensnap observed.   

Nutech 5f-196am (no below ground)-  A little taller hybrid with that ear placed above my shoulder.  Always causes a little concern for later in the season for me.  I noticed a little NCLB starting to show up.  The leaves on this hybrid are just about straight up.  No greensnap, and seems to like N.  Late pollinator for its maturity.  

Pioneer 9703 amx-  This hybrid sure seems to be doing well given the conditions.  It is handling the wet feet very well compared to others.  There might be less visual N deficiency on this one than any other early hybrid.  Seems to be holding off disease very well so far.  A couple greensnaps.  Lots of tillers.  

Peterson 86s98ss-  Very stiff stalks.  Plants love to tiller.  A short plant type for me.  Not many over 9' tall.  No greensnap.  

Renk 596ss-  Still seems far behind the competition.  Most everything has silked.  This one might only be half done.  Where its good it looks amazing.  One of the healthiest hybrids I have ever observed.  Doesnt seem to need as much N as others.  No greensnap.  

Croplan 3909ss-  Loves N.  This thing looks great were it didnt get wet feet.  Where its wet it seems to be struggling.  I am guessing its root strength isnt the greatest.  Solid stalks and no greensnap.

LG 5501 vt2 (no below ground)-  I just love the way this hybrid looks.  Last time I described it as short/compact/stocky.  I still would.  It sure puts major shade on the rows with those wide leaves.  In some spots it looks picture perfect to me.  It is almost the perfect height, perfect ear height and everything to me.  I can see why it did so good in FIRST last year.  No greensnap, most plants have 2 silks, some tillers, and great stalks right now.  

DK 49-72-  I have this planted at two different populations.  30,000 and 35,600.  The higher population does not look good in comparison to the lower.   This thing moves right along all season for a 99 day.  Its a great corn for my area.  Very good stalk.  Showing some N def.  No greensnap.  

LATE:

Croplan 4199ss-  I have this one planted at 30,000 v 35,600 too.  They both look pretty damn good.  Not showing N def as bad as others.  No greensnap observed.  

LG 5499ss-  Looks great.  I probably dont need to say too much about this corn.  No greensnap.  Loves well-drained ground just like anything else.  

Pioneer 0157amx-  Great looking corn for my area this year.  I havent planted much P in the last few years, but this is very healthy/ uniform looking corn.  Doing better than most with wet feet.  Pollinates a little later than most in the plot.  A couple greensnaps observed.  

Gold Country 102-07ss-  Defintely like well-drained ground.  Little bit of variability in wetter soil.  Very strong stalks on this one.  Might have led to a few of the greensnaps that I ob severed.   

Latham 5219ss-  Like the gold country it looks much better were it didnt have wet feet.  This one has more greensnap than any other.  Its maybe 3% tops.  

Nutech 5k-503 amxt-  This thing was fast out of the gate, and continues to lead the race.  Just a gorgeous looking corn.  A little weaker stalk than the others, but nothing that scares me away at all.  I did pull one cob out of curiosity.  Those cobs have A LOT of husk cover.  Might be slow to drydown.  It handles wet feet amazingly well.  

Dekalb 53-68ss-  Just like Renk 596ss in the early test this one is lagging behind.  I have a little in another field and it looks much better than this.  I think it got put in a tough spot with really high residue from last year.  This certainly is one healthy looking hybrid though.  Plant health is important to me.  No greensnap.

Renk 680ss-  Good stalks on this hybrid.  Not a very tall plant.  Looks middle of the road right now.   

(7-18-16 (1).JPG)

(7-18-16 (2).jpg)

(49 72 35,600 v 46-36 30,000.jpg)

(49-72 30,000 v 49-72 35,600.jpg)

(Dekalb 49-72ss.jpg)

(Latham 5219ss.jpg)

(LG 5501 Vt2.jpg)

(Nutech 5k-503 amxt.jpg)

(Pioneer 9703 amx.jpg)

(Renk 596ss.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 7-18-16 (1).JPG (153KB - 128 downloads)
Attachments 7-18-16 (2).jpg (135KB - 155 downloads)
Attachments 49 72 35,600 v 46-36 30,000.jpg (156KB - 152 downloads)
Attachments 49-72 30,000 v 49-72 35,600.jpg (179KB - 147 downloads)
Attachments Dekalb 49-72ss.jpg (162KB - 127 downloads)
Attachments Latham 5219ss.jpg (151KB - 135 downloads)
Attachments LG 5501 Vt2.jpg (135KB - 130 downloads)
Attachments Nutech 5k-503 amxt.jpg (131KB - 147 downloads)
Attachments Pioneer 9703 amx.jpg (164KB - 156 downloads)
Attachments Renk 596ss.jpg (150KB - 134 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)