AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"Snake Oil"?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

KF Farm
Posted 7/19/2016 19:19 (#5420348 - in reply to #5418922)
Subject: RE: "Snake Oil"?

Central Missouri
I find it interesting that anyone thinks that Y drops could come under the catagory of a possible snake oil. Usually that is reserved for fertility products, not equipment. Not trying to argue about that. Just struck me as odd.

Anyway

I always find it interesting a new biological, seed treatment, foliar, etc has to pass the "snake oil sniff test". However, on the other hand, anhydrous ammonia was applied in February or March and leached in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011; leaving the corn needing more nitrogen by V10 each year. And that's a totally accepted practice and it was mother natures fault. I always wonder if anhydrous was just being "adopted" if half of the farmers would consider it a snake oil?

Could you imagine a farmer listening to the first anhydrous salesman??? Ok, I got this stuff. Sometimes it's liquid, sometimes it's a gas. If it touches you it will burn or kill you. You have to buy specialized equipment that you will use only for anhydrous and only for 3-7 days out of the year. Don't worry, it's cheap. But you ought to see how dark green the corn gets after you put it on.

Not saying that I am right on any of this. Just a point that I have pondered during a LONG drive.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)