AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Waterhemp menace
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Happy First Timer
Posted 7/19/2016 08:59 (#5419416 - in reply to #5419119)
Subject: RE: Waterhemp menace

I have raised LL beans for 3 years prior to switching back to rr beans this year to try and switch modes of action. I have learned through experience LL is not the roundup of yesterday. You HAVE TO spray weeds with liberty when they are less than 4 inches tall. Liberty has its weakness in very poor control of annual grasses. You have to tank mix something else with it for grass control. You absolutely must spray it in the middle of the day when it is full sunshine and preferably hot as in 85 degree plus temps. You must use a minimum of 20 gal to the acre and you must slow down the spray rig to make sure you get really good coverage on the plant. It is not a replacement for round up as far as ease of use like roundup was when it first came out. In my opinion, you must use a preemergent to try and at least hold back a large precentage of water hemp before it germinates. If I remember correctly you can do 2 over the top applications. 1 at 29 oz, second at 36 oz.

As far as yield drag, we did not notice a reduction in yield using LL seed. If anything, we saw an increase in yield over round up seed due to the increase in weed control and cleaner fields. One of the major downfalls to liberty link system is the cost of the chemical. However, there are generics on the market now that should help lower that cost. We were buying name brand and paying $70 for 2.5 gallons.

I switched back to rr this year to get control of the grasses in my fields that liberty and select max would not kill. Roundup still works well on grasses "here". I will be going back to liberty beans in 2017.

Edited by Happy First Timer 7/19/2016 09:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)