AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic Corn/Beans...how to find a market?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 7/17/2016 18:39 (#5416468 - in reply to #5416379)
Subject: RE: Organic Corn/Beans...how to find a market?

King City, Mo
Finding a buyer isn't typically the major issues with organic grain farming.

There's different organic conferences where buyers, certifiers and suppliers have booths and talks about organic of farming.

Here in mo there is the MOA show, in Iowa the PFI has several organic members and booths at their annual conference.

Here on agtalk badfarmer is an organic grain buyer.

I would go to an annual conference and observe and sit threw some secessions or go to a certifiers annual meeting.

The goal during transition of 3 years is to not loose money. Paying premium organic price for inputs and selling at conventional prices doesn't work well for many. Mine was seeded down. A neighbor seeded down who was trying to raise crops and screwed up his documentation and had to start over. He didn't study all the rules....

You'll need to pick a certifier. I'm with Ocia in Kansas because a lady was helpful to go threw the paperwork with when I had questions to make sure I did everything right. Dunno if they are the best to be with but so far so good.

Document everything as you need 3 years of the fields history following NOP standards. Also how are you going to keep organic production separate from conventional. Weed control is another major issue you need to have a plan for. And backup plans. I found out the advice of when you think it's good...work it one more time is good advice...

Do you have an organic farmer that you could talk to close to you? 1-1.5hrs away is close enough.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)