AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

nitrogen on soys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 7/13/2016 07:05 (#5408474 - in reply to #5406378)
Subject: RE: nitrogen on soys

northeastern Ohio
Pre-innoculating soybeans using extenders can work, but virgin soybean ground is probably not the best place to use them. Rhizobia counts in the first few days after treatment can be acceptable for virgin ground, but I would not count on them for longer than that without adding another source of rhizobia at the planter. The counts would still be acceptable for non-virgin ground for up to 120 days (Excalibre SA) if you keep the seed cool (70 days when combined with certain seed treatments). If you want to use pre-innoculated seed on virgin ground, I always recommend adding another innoculant on the day of planting to achieve a double rate.

For virgin ground, I personally like to use a concentrated liquid product (MegaPack) that has 7 billion CFU (colony forming units) per milliliter. Applied at 2 oz per 140k soybean unit, this product gives me a triple rate of rhizobia. I also use it on my non-virgin ground at 1 oz per unit, which gives me more rhizobia per seed than any other liquid product on the market.

I am curious: What was the time frame between innoculation and planting with your pre-innoculated seed? I don't need an exact number. Was it a day, a week, a month? And how was the seed stored between innoculation and planting? Was it inside a climate controlled seed storage building, inside a regular shed, outside in a pro-box, ????? I'm not trying to pin the blame on anyone, just want to learn why your plants failed to nodulate.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)