AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any stump removal techniques out there?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 7/12/2016 00:10 (#5406277 - in reply to #5406235)
Subject: RE: Any stump removal techniques out there?

Sanilac Co. Michigan
I've screwed around with this stuff a bit. If at all possible, do NOT cut down the trees then decide to take the stumps out! Get someone with an excavator or fair size back hoe to undermine the trees a bit and use the trunk to tip the whole works out of the ground. You will save yourself a ton of grief! If it's too late and you've already stumped the trees off I think I'd slather some type of herbicde on the cut surfaces to keep the stump from suckering new growth, then get a big old wood bit on a cordless drill and bore holes in the surface and sides on the stump, and fill the holes with nitrogen fertiliser to speed up decay and decomposition. After a couple years those stumps ought to be punky enough you might be able to grub the worst of them out with a loader tractor.. In the mean time brush hog the area to keep any woody plants from growing and let's those old stumps get some sunlight on them. I think back in the day in this part of the world, after the timber came off and the fire cleared the trash, folks mostly ran cattle and sheep on the slashing and cut over land till the stumps could be either leavered out or burnt out.

Of course, if you're real ambitious you can break out a shovel, grub hoe, axe and chain along with your tractor and take each one out one at a time. If you got kids that'll give them something to do so they don't get bored, especially if the alternative is picking stone. Gives them character or something!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)