AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

TY Drops, my version of homemade Y drops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 7/10/2016 20:14 (#5403964 - in reply to #5403914)
Subject: RE: TY Drops, my version of homemade Y drops

Morris, IL
No, i tried something like that and it was too flexible. In the shop i can take the 3/4" and bend it in a 90 and it doesn't buckle or break. That is kind of what i was getting at about 1" being too rigid and 1/2" too flexible. Now i'm not sure if something else would give way if all 12 or even just 6 of them did that on my boom maybe the cable or spring would give out, it's a Hardi 60' FF boom. Saturday afternoon i ran in some VT 9' tall corn, I was shooting for them 1' off the ground which seemed like ideal, but i wanted to see what it would take as far as abuse, so i started lowering them lower and lower until i was only 5-5 1/2' off the ground, at that point they would have been dragging 1' or so, and was surprised it did no damage, didn't pull the boom back much or anything. Honestly i was very surprised.

Go to your local menards and pick up a piece of 3/4" schedule 40, it has some give, maybe just a fraction too much as they can get a swinging if you go to fast and aren't perfectly centered. But i've watched lot of Yield 360 Y drops running and they get a swinging a bit as well, not like rigid pipe. But this size PVC really seems pretty good for this application. You can kind of get a feel for how they would wiggle through corn on guess rows and such. 10' stick is like $1.85 i think plus i got 11% rebate. I had to order the side outlet as menards didn't carry them. PVC fittings online or something like that, $1.20 each i think plus shipping. I think i have 7$ in each drop. 10' stick of conduit did all my mounts along with some strap iron i had laying around. I probably have 4-500$ in this project with all my trying this, trying that, but the finished product is very cheap. I think the boom fittings and couple set of orifices were more expensive then rest of the drop.

Edited by NEILFarmer 7/10/2016 22:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)