AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much N do you apply?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Youngbux
Posted 7/8/2016 22:42 (#5400570 - in reply to #5399733)
Subject: RE: How much N do you apply?

Midwest
Gerald J. - 7/8/2016 15:34

In 2007 after decent beans, I applied 100 pounds of DAP before planting so 11 pounds of N. I notilled the corn seed with 60 pounds of N from 32% 2-1/4" from the rows, and I side dressed 40 pounds of N dribbled in streams 60" apart from weighted drops with rain in the forecast when the corn was about 4' fall. I had at least 8% organic matter from soil tests (possibly biased from sampling close to the rows and getting roots in the samples). My dried yield was 173.2 bushels per acre.

Two years later I rented the field to a strip tiller mostly corn on corn and it took him three years to beat that yield while split applying about 200 pounds of N. He's doing considerably better now on 160 pounds of N split applied though his side dress is with much shorter corn than I did.

In 2007 I did a late season stalk test and N was very low by that test. I did shop for and planted a Crows number rated to be very efficient on its use of nutrients, that's probably not on the market any more after all the mergers.

Gerald J.

How many times have you posted this exact story on ag talk?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)