AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CAMS. Cargill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

KevinM
Posted 7/8/2016 11:14 (#5399372 - in reply to #5399339)
Subject: RE: CAMS. Cargill

SE IL

clicker - 7/8/2016 10:42 I've never understood why a producer, who wants top price, would let the end user, who wants the lowest price, market their crop for them.

While Cargill has some divisions that are end users the elevator is NOT an end user. The elevator just wants to collect their margin and the only way to do that is to handle the physical bushels. I'm not a Cargill fan by any means but let's make sure we understand what is really happening. The CAMS program and pro pricing and the like are a response by the elevators to requests from farmers for this kind of service. Cargill, IMO, is a bigger proponent of these types of programs, almost to the exclusion of straight forward contracting. It's all about handling the physical bushels.

I don't understand why a farmer would want to turn over 100% of his marketing to anyone. I can see a small portion of the crop-it gives you something to benchmark against. There are a wide range of programs from a simple average by selling set increments daily or weekly to more aggressive using futures and options buying and selling. Pick your comfort level and live with the results if that's your bag.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)