AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Goooo tillage!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mikenesd
Posted 7/7/2016 22:57 (#5398682 - in reply to #5397164)
Subject: RE: Goooo tillage!

Clark SD

puma - 7/7/2016 09:21

We have done very limited no-till soybeans into cornstalk. Next spring we are planning on trying no-till corn on corn on our light ground to help conserve moisture. We usually have cold wet springs, and then dry out and get hot in July.

I am interested in doing the best we can, but I haven't seen any science used in your posts that will help me.

What should I do to grow the best crop I can?

Previous crop: corn, 110-130BPA

In my opinion doing corn on corn on lighter soil would be a bad move. The only moisture you would save most times is what you get after corn harvest.  What has worked for us is to no-till soybeans into the corn stubble, then the next year no-till spring wheat into the soybean stubble. leave as much wheat stubble standing as possible to catch more snow. Or you can plant rye into the wheat stubble for a cover crop, or for grain like we do. It works to store more moisture that way because you are catching moisture after wheat harvest up untill you plant your corn the following year. The key is to leave as much stubble standing both the corn and wheat, it seems to helps the soil warm up faster in the spring. To make this system work even better in the long term, the no-till has to be continious, not hit or miss.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)