AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Goooo tillage!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GB1066
Posted 7/7/2016 07:57 (#5396880 - in reply to #5396433)
Subject: RE: Goooo tillage!

Central IA
I'm not necessarily advocating 100% pure notill (although that would be nice), heck were not 100% notill. I'm just saying, in my area especially, the amount of tillage some guys are doing is absolutely atrocious, and there's absolutely no need for it. At least most of the time you're incorporating manure. If you dropped an atomic bomb in marshall co you wouldn't hardly hit a feed lot. These guys just till to till, probably because "that's the way dad did it". Even going to beans (where there's been study after study showing little yield benefit to tillage) guys work the crap out of the ground. In this post I'm not trying to tell other people in other areas how to farm. I'm just reporting What's going on in my area, and, having experience with these soil types, knowing what can work, and what is just a complete waste of fuel, and steal, and time, and tires, and machinery wear, and iron. I forgot to mention that the south half of this field is beans to isolate against our corn. They FC the whole field before they planted the seed, then came back and fc the isolation strip to plant the beans. And again, this was bean stubble! Fc to plant back to beans??! I mean come on! This is the s*** I'm talking about. There is absolutely NO scientific, logical, economic, or agronomic reason to do that! Like I said to another guy on this thread, guys don't have to go 100% notill to greatly reduce erosion and greatly increase soil health. We've found that a rotary harrow is an awesome tool. We strip all of our corn, we VT some stalks. There's more than one way to skin a cat, but you don't have to use extremely abrasive tools to do it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)