AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

planting green report
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jack1
Posted 7/7/2016 06:54 (#5396748)
Subject: planting green report

Southren Illinois
mid year report. First year of 100% planting green. Very difficult spring here as it was wet and crops were planted later than normal. Cereal rye got very tall, 5-6', and most had already pollinated before it was planted. Corn that I planted early before rains in May looks fantastic, recent rains have most of it on track to be an above average crop for me. I did have to replant some due to, as one poster had posted, cottage cheese ground. This corn looks a little rough but in the end I think it will be ok. I planted almost all of my beans into a jungle. Planting into 6' tall cereal rye isn't for the faint of heart. Was concerned about plugged radiators and allergies, but this turned out to be a non event, thankfully. I do have some thinner than I like spots but neverless I am pleased with the stands I have. Weed control from the rye is very evident in all of my fields, I am still trying to figure out how to best handle my chemical program for the future. Was very surprised at how much marestail was in the 6' rye when I planted, thankfully I am using a liberty program and marestail has now been controlled. I did spray some rye in march with 2-4d & dicamba for marestail and that worked very well and I will try to do more of that in the future. There are some challenges with planting green, but after this year I know they aren't that big of an issue. I have moved to cover crops to combat erosion, cereal rye is definitely part of that equation, I will still continue to install some dry damns but think I am on the right path to helping alleviate this problem. Overall at this point in the growing year I am pretty happy with the results, now its time for the combine to tell the rest of the story.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)