AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Goooo tillage!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GB1066
Posted 7/6/2016 10:33 (#5394968 - in reply to #5394924)
Subject: RE: Goooo tillage!

Central IA
Right, they lose huge amounts of soil (a lot of it onto our farms) every year, don't change their practices one bit (in some cases they do MORE tillage), and yet I'm the closed minded one? I'm thinking bigger than myself and concerned about the surrounding environment and farmers impact on water quality and yet I'm close minded because I called out a neighbor and their 19th century farming practices? Science has proven the harm that tillage does to the soil. We can literally measure the amount of soul lost or the amount of co2 that is released with each tillage pass. You can run home experiments to test the stability and water infiltration capabilities of your soil. This isn't just the ramblings of a crazy person (I'm probably a little crazy) this is all proven FACT. I can show you pictures of fencerows that are literally 6-8 ft high! You don't think that is a symptom of tillage ruining the soil? All of the knowledge of the world is at your fingertips, you can look these things up instead of name calling. I get along great with all of our neighbors, but these horrific farming practices are not sustainable. Let me remind you again, this happened while we were in a DROUGHT! It's not as if we were saturated and then got a 5 inch rain. We were so dry that after the rain our gravel roads were still firm.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)