AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why am I not seeing yield bump with fungicides on corn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 7/4/2016 12:49 (#5390955 - in reply to #5389658)
Subject: RE: Why am I not seeing yield bump with fungicides on corn?

King City, Mo
Not everyone see's the yield bumps the reps and applicators claim. That's the truth not hear say. Several don't like that topic being brought up as it hurts the sale of products and application fee's.

I can't see how trading sprayers to try out fungicides makes since.

Why are some seeing the yield bump and others are not......

Hybrid selection? Ive had farmers look at my plot results before and tell me that they all did very good.....so why pick a hybrid that is sucptiable that costs the same per acre or more if it has to have a fungicide all to perform?

Soil fertility - I've asked the lady giving the talk at a CCA CEU workshop that was presenting the data on fungicide trials and they did not get conclusive results on getting the fungicide to benefit the farmers pocket book. I asked if they had soil test data on the trials that showed the gain and the trials that did not show the gain? No soil test data....

We had SDS in the area in 2014. Some Varities got it and some it didn't touch. Guys who sprayed fungicide on sucptiable Varities still got sds and were not happy...........now if you have frogeye leaf spot move in its time to load up and spray a fungicide as it was effective on that disease.

Also some have sprayed fungicide in the past but gave it up after a few years for some reason. I have saw beans staying green and causes Lima like beans in the sample which is not good if your growing a value added crop that is for seed or food grade.

Another part that concerns me is if we use fungicide as a recreational practice wont diseases that are sucptiable to being controlled by the fungicide get eliminated/build restiance and we are left with ones we can't control with the fungicides when we really need them? Didn't that happen when everyone sprayed roundup repeatedly on corn and soybeans every year and now 1/2 the posts on crop talk are about killing weeds rup misses or trying to figure out a pre plant of attack....

Do we kill good fungi as well as bad fungi when we spray a fungicide? (There's good fungi in the soil?!?! The soil is full of microbial life much like the rumen of a cow?!?). If we spray the fungicide how long does it protect our crop it's sprayed? A few days? A week or so?

When we spray insecticides do we kill the bad bugs eating our crop as well as the good bugs that are a natural predator to those bad bugs..... What population comes back first....if the bugs are bad enough we spray but the tossing it in because it's cheap and we are making the pass anyway is not cool as we are jacking with an ecosystem we don't understand.

What happened when all the wolves were removed from Yellowstone? Man's idea to make the park better......Wolves are bad right so removing them was good right? What did they start doing in 1995?? Ecosystems need balance.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q

Everyone wants to find the fountain of youth for crop production and it doesn't exist. Time slips by rather quickly and a lot passes fast when we start looking back and the decisions that were made decades ago are still effecting the crops we grow today. It all takes time and management and cooperation from Mother Nature.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)