AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean weeds - velvetleaf & morningglory
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

duckngooser
Posted 7/4/2016 10:53 (#5390797)
Subject: Soybean weeds - velvetleaf & morningglory

NW Missouri
Location - NW Missouri. We planted beans over a month ago. We planted into clean fields following a successful burndown/residual application a few weeks prior to planting. It rained once the night we finished planting (had been wet for a straight month prior). With that rain, a few cockleburs starting to come up indicating our residual was wearing off... We post sprayed killing them and adding another residual. Well, the heat set-in and the rain turned off for the next 3 weeks. It appears the residual never activated since it never rained after spraying. 3 weeks later, we started getting some rain. Soybeans stands are very thin with pretty horrible emergence (1 rain after planting and nothing since with weeks near/over 100 degrees). I'll have a few ok plants followed by some that appear to have just emerged. Looks like the seeds that were lucky enough to find enough moisture took off...others suffered (possible some are still about to sprout). Hoping for some luck with the rains we've had over the last week to get them to fill in a bit.

Now to the issue at hand. Walking the fields I'm noticing velvetleaf and morningglory starting to come up. I've been advised to hit the fields with roundup, resource, and cobra. I'm wondering if I could get away with substituting the cobra for cadet to save some money and save some burn on the soybeans. As thin as they are, I hate to burn them too bad. They may never thicken up to canopy. I figure I have a few days to make a decision as we just received a nice rain.

Thoughts? Thanks for any advice!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)