AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why am I not seeing yield bump with fungicides on corn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

1887fff
Posted 7/4/2016 09:35 (#5390641 - in reply to #5389326)
Subject: RE: Why am I not seeing yield bump with fungicides on corn?

Western Illinois
BtBookworm--no disrespect taken. The optimum genetic potential of our corn or soybean is when it is still in the bag. It's about protecting what's gentically available, not "adding". I should add that we have "easy" fields compared to many of those here on AgTalk (i.e. I'm not as a good a farmer as someone one white soils at the fringes of the corn/bean belt). Good natural drainage, fully tiled, CPI of 125-140 everywhere, good soil fertilitiy (would be excellent if we had manure but we lack livestock). I think one of our limiting factors was fertilizer balance and placement, which I HOPE is being addressed with Strip-Tillage. The reason for my question is because I've never seen our corn look so good. We don't get paid for looks, I realize, and I havent' done a tissue sample test--but the field fertility and root growth has been better than ever. Another way of saying it, might this be the year that the fungicide application (even in the absence of disease) IS the limiting factor?

Also, thanks for your earlier post on the ground rig and 20GPA. I have a neighbor who is rescuing 30 acres of popcorn (different story) with nitrogen. I'm going to pay him a bit extra to do some test strips.

Do you firmly believe in the dual MOA in the absense of disease? Or would I be better off with a FULL RATE of preventative? Conceptually, if there is no disease (I'll concede there could very well be some we can't see due to the latent period of Gray Leaf Spot, etc.), wouldn't I be better off putting the money fully in a protectant rather than splitting some of the benefit into a curative?

Thanks for your response!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)