AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My Unscientific Science Experiment with pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cows-n-crops
Posted 7/2/2016 14:50 (#5387425 - in reply to #5387290)
Subject: RE: My Unscientific Science Experiment with pics

NEMO
I have heard of yields from 45-80 and and an occasional 100. Truth be known, I bet 60-70 probably catch vast majority.

Growing up wheat was treated like a red-headed step child. People planted it for the straw (livestock needs) or to seed something down and didn't put much effort into it around here. We used to grow a fair amount every year as it is good for rotation and the ground. Tried to do extra stuff but couldn't gain much in yield side for the effort and then the elevator will do anything it seems to steal it, so we stopped growing it for several years. Last year was the first year in several that we grew some and vomitoxin was bad and couldn't get rid of it. Even the highly manged wheat was almost worthless. This year it MIGHT have paid for extra trips for more N and fungicide, until the price tanked at harvest.

I think the hidden values help make wheat worth while here. Notice the stand of marestail and waterhemp in the wheat? Not much there. A lot of our ground is HEL, and have notice a lot less erosion when wheat is in the mix.

If you could raise 50-60 bushel wheat and 35-40 bushel beans interplanted and the weeds are somewhat 'naturally' controlled then this would be very profitable in this area. True double crop beans are a crap shoot as I've cut 6 bushel all the way to 35 bushel and most of the time frost is the determining factor. You just never know how they will turn out. If we can get the beans further along then 35-40 should be doable on a more consistent basis.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)