AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Inter planted beans into wheat (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 7/2/2016 08:46 (#5386847 - in reply to #5386364)
Subject: RE: Inter planted beans into wheat (pics)

lawfarms - 7/1/2016 21:36 Last fall decided to plant a plot area at my house to wheat...why not as have everything else at my house growing. Always wanted to try this and after planting the 15" population plot and the row spacings plot I planted Willcross WXR7379N (3.7 gly tolerant) bean into the wheat. Let the wheat mature and then cut the tops for grain last Sunday evening. Well it looks like I've got some beans that made it threw all that. The wheat took a little yield hit but didn't have help to get the weigh wagon to weigh around to weigh 1 little dab of wheat. So took these pics tonight and so far looking good. I used the 7379 as it tends to run smaller seed size in a 50# bag making the investment in seed less if things go south. I also know the history of the bean and it tends to bush very well which could help makeup for the combine with a 920 head on knocking down beans. So we'll see what it looks like come fall.

There was a small tribe of us doing this in Kansas 15+ yrs ago.  We were drilling the beans very early, so the damage to the wheat was negligible.  Still, we didn't find that the relay-crop beans had any yield advantage over standard double-crop practices (harvest the wheat, then drill beans).

I could see where this practice might have some advantage in, say, Michigan, but at the latitude of Ks/Mo, I doubt it has much merit.  (All of us quit it.)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)