AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Inter planted beans into wheat (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 7/2/2016 06:42 (#5386623 - in reply to #5386514)
Subject: RE: Inter planted beans into wheat (pics)

King City, Mo
The wheat in the plot looked poorer then the fields of wheat before I planted into it. I don't think a cover of sudex disk down is a good choice prior to planting wheat.

Also I think a guy needs to plant earlier on the beans when the wheat is smaller. Maybe Mother's Day weekend would work better?

The beans search for sunlight and grow tall and spindly so wondering if lower population would help keep them shorter but still need a good stand.

I had the 750 drill on another tractor with same sized tires and tried part of a pass over at moms where the bean field and wheat field meet. The drill seemed to knock the wheat down a lot more being on 7.5 vrs 15" spacing. Also 4 tires on the drill vrs 2 on the planter.

Didn't kip cullers take his wife's hedge trimmers to a trial one year? I could of clipped the wheat lower and took some beans but it was the last thing I cut and I was ready to be done and that's how my thumb ran the controls when I cut the wheat weather it was right or wrong.

The seed cost was $27/acre on the beans in that plot and guess $15/acre for planting cost. Planning a strong shot of rup and 2oz Zidua on it.

I'm wondering if we should manage the wheat crop just a little bit more then you would a cover crop and just get what you get for yield. I can clean this wheat in the fanning mill if i can figure everything out and would have $8/acre in wheat seed cost, $15 drill, $30/combine plus fertilizer and trucking. A guy could go out in April? and spray 2,4-D and generic prowl to clean up any broadleaves and put a residual down to help stay clean. I'm just thinking outloud bouncing ideas around to brain storm to see if anything sticks.

I still had the plot planter on (30" rows) and some extra plot bags of beans that can be sprayed with gly so we planted those down the road at moms on Monday to compare to if we get any rain.

Ideally I should of only planted 1/2 the plot to beans and then compared wheat yields side by side and then planted DC beans after.....better planning for next time as this was spur of the moment as tractor/planter with beans in it was sitting there and I'm like why not. The split row planter this week is in the shed unhooked and not loaded with beans so requires more motivation for the other trial to happen.

If I can't get something to fail then I'm not trying hard enough. Look at all the trials it took Edison to come up with the light bulb that we take for granted today. This looks like something I should keep playing around with as it passed the initial trial of can we even get a stand of beans. If I take a small plot and play around with it in not out too much expense...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)