AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic Farming Conversion
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Featherduster
Posted 6/28/2016 12:30 (#5380939 - in reply to #5379834)
Subject: RE: Organic Farming Conversion

Columbus, TX
Here's a good read. Some boys from down in my area.

http://www.agweb.com/mobile/article/only-anti-gmo-hippies-grow-orga...

I haven't been farming long at all and work a regular full time job. I was lucky enough to lease some ground that hasn't been farmed in years. Granted it's not the best quality ground and is pretty light, but I still chose to go the organic route. The main thing for me and what made my decision is I simply don't have to produce top yields to make money. When putting the pencil to the paper my inputs are less than conventional and I'm still shooting for a higher return. Granted, there is a lot more work and more passes in the field, but it's still doable. If you have a market for it, then like another poster said, I'd just jump in honestly. I talked with my crop insurance agent not long ago and we were talking about markets, he told me he had at least 5 different buyers blowing up his phone last year wanting organic corn. I think he finally bit the bullet and bought a burner to take care of weeds between the rows of his corn. You will get a lot of sass from others about your fields and they will be scratching their heads, but in my opinion it's just impossible to have a completely weed free field if you grow organics, it's just something you have to accept and realize your yield may suffer from it, but also realize the price will make up for that. Rains can prevent you from getting in the field to cultivate, only to sit back and watch the weeds grow. Or, like my situation this year with soybeans, it never stopped raining and I couldn't get in to plant, but when I finally did I was able to disk and field cultivate one more time, killing a very late flush of weeds and grass before planting, that's a big plus. Just part of it. I'd say go for it, because after you made the transition, it's very easy to go back to conventional if you want. It's not easy to do it the other way around.

Edited by Featherduster 6/28/2016 12:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)