AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thistle in conventional corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 6/27/2016 09:00 (#5378447 - in reply to #5378252)
Subject: RE: Thistle in conventional corn

southern MN
A late summer or fall application hurts thistles a lot more, while they are feeding their root, than anything in spring or early summer.

It takes a few years of work to get rid of established patches of this weed, the root mass becomes large and fierce and takes work to beat down.

Roundup strong and with better stickies added when you can works well over time, not an option for you now anyhow, something to keep in mind before or after your conventional crop is growing.

Stinger is designed for thistles in corn, but has some rotation issues and myself I never thought it did a lot more that good 24D does, others think a lot of it. 24d will curl up thistles, but is very hard on corn over 5 leaves and only moderately curls down thistles here, doesn't really get rid of them when they are established.

Status is a good general broadleaf weed control for many sizes of corn, and it does curl up the thistles and work on them, won't get rid of a whole patch in a year but thins them down nicely. It is what I would look at if I were you, assuming other broadleaves are out there, and it will knock the thistles down this year.

There are several good choices in grassland but they don't fit well in a row crop rotation, they have too much residual/ rotational issues...

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)