AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cows in the corn, what next - pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Walton Farms
Posted 6/21/2016 21:28 (#5368517)
Subject: Cows in the corn, what next - pics

SW Indiana
Rent about 80 acres of riverbottom from good to work with landlords. Their cow heard got into about 35 acres that was almost knee high. Don't know how long they were in there. Landlord called me Sunday night upset over it and he called his insurance company and I called my crop insurance agent Monday morning, knowing they aren't going to pay anything but I wanted them involved and don't want this to reflect onto my APH come fall.

So adjuster from my crop insurance comes out this morning, says its a 0 - failed crop, took pictures called NAU directly and told them what is going on. Says his advice disk it under and plant something else knowing it won't be covered by insurance - ok sounds reasonable.

Meet with landlords agent/adjuster this evening. He agrees their is significant damage but won't give me the go ahead to destroy the crop, says he wants to call the home office in Iowa in the morning and discuss with them. Wants to know how much money I have invested...explained to him that has no bearing on the matter. The other 45 acres I rent from them was planted the day before and what it makes per acre is what I need compensated for on this, he seemed to agree. Told him I also wanted payed for the premium of the field that is damaged high risk 75% coverage about $45/acre, didn't really get much of a response on that, but I'm going to have to pay the premium and there is no crop there.

Have about 1/2 my nitrogen on and IF I can get the go ahead to disk it under my thoughts was to come back in with milo though I've never grown it before since I've spent money on nitrogen but that is really a whole other subject.

Also I thought it was very odd that he never even took a picture, said he would call the main office in Iowa and someone from there may drive out to examine it - we are in Indiana this sounds really really strange to me. Insurance company is Grinnell Mutual who I've never heard of, a google search brings them up as a re-insurance company and the review online aren't good. I have no idea what a re-insurance company is but I don't have a good feeling. Agent/adjuster guy also mentioned at one point that if it rains he thinks there could possibly be 100 bu/acre potential. I just don't see how that will happen, I'm sure some of it may grow out of it but nothing will get shaded and we fight cockelburs in this riverbottom the way it is.

Last 2 pictures are the corn in the other unit of the farm planted 1 day earlier.

Edited by Walton Farms 6/21/2016 21:34

(NCM_1182.JPG)

(NCM_1183.jpg)

(NCM_1184.jpg)

(NCM_1185.jpg)

(NCM_1187.jpg)

(NCM_1188.jpg)

(NCM_1189.jpg)

(NCM_1190.jpg)

(NCM_1191.jpg)

(NCM_1192.jpg)

(NCM_1193.jpg)

(NCM_1194.jpg)

(NCM_1195.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments NCM_1182.JPG (173KB - 436 downloads)
Attachments NCM_1183.jpg (199KB - 473 downloads)
Attachments NCM_1184.jpg (241KB - 493 downloads)
Attachments NCM_1185.jpg (208KB - 460 downloads)
Attachments NCM_1187.jpg (131KB - 464 downloads)
Attachments NCM_1188.jpg (190KB - 486 downloads)
Attachments NCM_1189.jpg (218KB - 466 downloads)
Attachments NCM_1190.jpg (147KB - 461 downloads)
Attachments NCM_1191.jpg (128KB - 495 downloads)
Attachments NCM_1192.jpg (152KB - 469 downloads)
Attachments NCM_1193.jpg (172KB - 501 downloads)
Attachments NCM_1194.jpg (97KB - 513 downloads)
Attachments NCM_1195.jpg (167KB - 481 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)