AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raising pigs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

rollinsorchards
Posted 6/20/2016 20:46 (#5366535 - in reply to #5360580)
Subject: RE: Raising pigs

Garland Maine
Put them someplace you can clean out with a tractor or skid steer. Cute little piglets eat only a little and the pen can be cleaned out once a month. When they get closer to butchering weight they will need cleaning once or twice a week, or at least fresh bedding.

Pick up a nipple water faucet for them. Most of them have an adjustment screw to turn up the flow as the pig gets bigger.

Moistening the feed is a good idea. I usually don't bother after about 6 weeks. I park a half ton sack of grain in front of their pen and shovel it into their trough once they get about 4 months old.

I feed 16% protein general purpose grain typically. 18% would be better in my opinion, but I like to use just one blend for them and the cows. Keep them well fed. If you think they are eating a lot of feed and try to cut them back a little you will lose the "growth" portion of the diet and delay butchering day.

I am not sure what else you grow, but pigs will eat nearly anything. Just don't skimp on the grain. I have a farmstand and when people ask what I do with produce that doesn't sell (usually they want something cheap) I proudly say "I turn it into Bacon." I used to just compost it, but feeding pigs I get both meat to sell and manure to make more crops grow.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)