AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Waving goodbye to no till. Can't say I'm sad..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 6/20/2016 07:21 (#5365395 - in reply to #5364591)
Subject: RE: Waving goodbye to no till. Can't say I'm sad..

c&k farms - 6/19/2016 18:51

2.5 oz valor + .6 oz classic + 1.2oz zidua didn't hold for 2 weeks.
Lumax/Acuron pre and post applied aren't holding pigweeds.

I applied 6 oz dicsmba + 4 oz lv6 + .75# atz + 1.1 pts dual + 24 oz rt3 pre plant post strip till.

V4 I applied 3 oz capreno + .75# atz + 1.1 pt dual + 4-5 oz dicamba + 24 powermax.

V8 I hsd to apply 8 oz Diflexx + .5#Atz + 18 powermax. And I still have pigweeds blowing through

Another situation split Acuron 1/2 pre plus 1/2 post with 3 oz status or 8 oz diflexx. Pigweeds are coming back on us. Acuron doesn't control volunteer milo.

Liberty and gramaxone are being sprayed in situitions too. All apps have pres wit them. Grass, kochia, marestail, velvetleaf, morning glory, and cockelbur are being controlled. Palmer pigweeds don't stop. 15-20 gpa. Travel speeds of 10 mph max and twin fans. Prefix flex star post are a waste of money post. Liberty is working 50/50. We don't have humidity to make it work consistently.

I'll agree that tillage isn't an answer bc it only helps until you plant the crop. I am trying to figure out how to incorporate tillage and cover crops in a min till environment. I think rotation to different crops is needed also. Keep in mind we grow wheat, milo, corn, beans, alfalfa, oats, and millet in some rotation or another. Im running out of options. With low grain prices more of my farmers are looking at tillage. 1 neighbor spent 80,000 last year on roguers. That doesn't work. Another neighbor has hppd, glyphosate, atrazine resistant palmers. Again tI'll age isn't a cure, but herbicide isn't either.

This all seems very reactionary and not well thought-out. Almost as if you were itching to find a reason to abandon no-till.

As you say yourself, tillage only helps until you plant the crop, although paraquat mixes are excellent for preplant burndown control of Palmers. (And I do know of people running 12 - 14 mph spraying 'quat successfully.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)