AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to plant on severely damaged soil
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jocoshar23
Posted 6/19/2016 12:28 (#5363936 - in reply to #5363162)
Subject: RE: What to plant on severely damaged soil

SE IA
farmer82 - 6/18/2016 21:44

I am getting some land back that I farmed 3 years ago. The last year I farmed it the beans were phenomenal. It got sold for a factory. They stripped the black soil off, cored out clay for the building then they filled it back in with the clay that was dug out for the building footings. Now they have spread 6 to 8 inches of the black dirt back on top. They are having dust problems in their HVAC, system and don't want the dust of working up the soil. I was planning on no tilling beans into it. Money is not an issue but the company wants to farm it instead of mowing.any ideas besides beans? Or ways to handle the land in the future? This is custom farmed close to home and they just got it done last week.

This is what i woukd do: 20 Ton of cattle manure with bedding. Plow it under. Plant a crop, put 3000 gallon of hog manure on it every year. Don't take any stalks off. Put on maintenance P and K and maybe corn/corn it a couple years and /or put it into oats/or wheat and alfalfa. Go to a 4 or 5 yr rotation but soybeans would be your worst enemy for building that soil.

I think in 40 years our grandkids will wonder why we ever grew soybeans.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)