AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drought of 1980 = 2016
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

supertiquer
Posted 6/18/2016 16:40 (#5362612 - in reply to #5361941)
Subject: RE: Drought of 1980 = 2016

central, Il.
I remember that year very well. My dad passed away in Feb. of that year. The spring went really nice. Had a couple of nice rains and no flooding or any severe weather. Got all the cultivating done early and the corn grew fast. It didn't rain at all the month of June. Corn was tasseling by the end of the month into the first of July. On the 4th of July, my sister came in my bedroom, woke me up and said maybe we should get to the basement. No tornado, but a very fierce wind. About the time we opened the door to go there it was over. The thing about it was, all we got out of that storm was not even a tenth of an inch of rain. It finally rained an inch about the last week of July. That helped, but it had been so hot during that month, the damage to the corn had already been done. Beans on the other hand faired better than corn as some late August rains helped them. Back then though we didn't plant beans as early as we do now. And we didn't plant corn as thick either.

So I will agree with your local weather man. In fact, I told my wife just last week,"This is reminding me a lot of 1980."
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)