AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much do you save by spraying yourself?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

CRJ
Posted 6/17/2016 05:35 (#5360052 - in reply to #5359438)
Subject: RE: Not as much as you might think...........

NEIN
There can definitely be a cost savings to buying wholesale chemicals, but ONLY if you are a horrible buyer otherwise. I never had any trouble getting my Co-op to price match wholesale. And coming from the guy who bought the 200k self-propelled its not all peaches and cream doing your own. To do it right you need support equipment, tanks for storage and loading pads etc. I have 20k in facilities now and did most of the work myself. Add inventory, leftovers or obsolete products too. Clean out and damage from a little left in the rubber hoses when switching crops. And don't forget exposure to all these chemicals. Acute exposure is one thing, chronic exposure is another when it comes to cancer. And then there is the stress of making a mistake. How many ounces of that product did I put in? And an ounce kills all the weeds in acre. Oh damn, that load had Fusilade in it and I just sprayed the edge of the corn while spraying the round up beans and forgot....... and so it goes. As others have mentioned it can be a source for savings but if you are a savvy business person you can definitely hire it done for not much more than it costs to own your own unless you are a very large operation. Probably the biggest argument for owning a sprayer is timeliness of application if your local is overbooked.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)