AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat protein
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Nate B.
Posted 6/16/2016 12:45 (#5358882)
Subject: Wheat protein

Bremen, KS
As usual as the wheat harvest winds its way up through Kansas I hear reports of the protein content. In all the years I've been doing this, the local elevators either don't test for protein or simply don't bother telling, either way, I've never seen a premium offered for it. They do apply discounts for high moisture content, low test weight, shriveled kernels, scabs, and will likely again send off all samples for testing for vomitoxin for the opportunity to apply another discount.

As I hear the reports of protein content along with moisture content and test weights seemingly immediately with the first loads delivered in southern Kansas, I presume that this must be an easy test the elevator can do on the spot. Is this correct? Also, what kind of premiums do you get?

I have no idea if protein is not mentioned locally as ours is so high that the price already reflects the premium (Ha! Yeah, right.), or it's so low that our wheat is immediately destined for stock feed, chewing gum, or export to North Korea.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)