AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Notilling into rye? Brad law
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 6/14/2016 12:32 (#5354622 - in reply to #5354498)
Subject: RE: Notilling into rye? Brad law

King City, Mo
I planted into oats and turnips on my organic ground.

Not many acres so experimenting.

I waited till the oats were heading out and drilled it twice at 5mph with a tractor and duals with a 750 drill on 7.5" spacings.

1st pass laid it down pretty good and 2nd pass really smashed it. I've got 100# of clear Hiliumn food grade Willcross beans seeded per acre so we'll see how that does to suppress the later weeds.

You have to wait till the oats, the, wheat is starting to make seed to get it killed. Organic stuff gets done last but takes patience to wait on it if the ground is dry.

Saturday I disked down some oat/rye/turnip mix and planted on 30" rows a Nongmo black Nongmo Willcross bean on nonorganic ground and broadcasted by hand the rest of the bag to see how the beans would do vrs cultivating the rowed beans next to it.

Your welcome to shoot me an email and come down sometime and check it out and make your own judgement. I'll have a field day for the normal stuff sept 6th for work and a Practical Farmers of Iowa field day sept 8th that ill focus more on the different stuff I'm doing and go over to the organic field If it looks decient.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (186KB - 61 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)