AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Notilling into rye? Brad law
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

frytownfarmer
Posted 6/14/2016 11:55 (#5354532 - in reply to #5354498)
Subject: RE: Notilling into rye? Brad law

Frytown, Iowa
The rye won't kill by mowing or crimping unless it has the pollen shedding from its head... Unfortunately I learned that first hand this year. At that time of pollen it will kill easily sometimes even just by laying it over though crimping or cutting increases chances.

If you mow it before pollen it's my understanding that it will push up again like grass hay.

Thoughts against mowing is mowers usually windrow a little so its not as even. The mulch is your cover and too much in one area and not enough in another is a recipie for disaster.

Areas where my drill cut rye from drilling twice (corners/overlap) the rye died real nice. So cutting at pollination works. You just want it even...

And as with any heavy rain. Just like corn or soybean stubble... Rain can move/wash residue away from its intended place causing bare spots where it left and heavy mats piled below where your best crop was supposed to be. So if your rye is cut instead of rolled or crimped you increase something to go wrong like washing

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)