AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nitrate from Alfalfa ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

HeyhayJCM
Posted 6/14/2016 10:25 (#5354380 - in reply to #5354278)
Subject: RE: Nitrate from Alfalfa ?

central ohio..between Springville and Millbrook.
Gerald J. - 6/14/2016 09:20

There used to be an ISU extension bulletin dating from the 1970s that said corn planted after plowing under mature alfalfa didn't need any nitrogen the first year because the yield didn't increase by adding nitrogen, and that it might not need nitrogen the second corn year. In the 90s I raised decent corn after three year old alfalfa. I quit the alfalfa and went to buying 32% because the "free" nitrogen cost too much money in not growing and selling corn those three alfalfa years. I was doing a 6 year rotation, three years of alfalfa with oats nurse crop the first year, then corn, beans, corn. It did work but grain income for only half the place (I broke the farm into 6 patches each a different year of the rotation) wasn't all that profitable even though I only applied MAP for each corn year.

I haven't detected that ISU extension bulletin in the last 15 years.

Gerald J.

Gerald J ,
I really liked your post.

looking back....do you think the numbers would have been any different if you went 5 years with the Alfalfa? would it have been more profitable to spread the establishment cost for the Alfalfa out further? do you have a good Alfalfa market in your area?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)