AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

critique our nutrient program, all opinions welcome
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

briggsfm
Posted 6/14/2016 05:06 (#5353968 - in reply to #5353362)
Subject: RE: critique our nutrient program, all opinions welcome

Scottville, 49454 Northwest Michigan

As was suggested... I too would add some thiosul to the side-dressed nitrogen application.  We try to always add about a gallon of thiosul with every nine gallons of 28 percent. 

We always add some Zinc with our in-furrow fertilizer application on corn.  A quart to two quarts of a chelated Zinc product is what we add. 

It's not a big deal, but your pounds of phosphorus and potassium are a bit disproportionate.  That is provided your soil tests for each nutrient are in the medium to high test levels.   For ease of remembering... I figure .25 pounds of potassium per bushel of corn produced, and .4 pounds of phosphorus per bushel of corn produced.  Based on those numbers, your potash is being applied for a higher yield than your phosphorus.  Not by much, but some.

As others have said.... tile, tile, and install more tile.  I'm not sure you can ever have too much tile.

We started doing our own about six years ago.  Dollar for dollar, probably one of the best investments we've ever made.  We've got more money invested in our sprayer than we do in all of the equipment we use to tile with.   By almost double.  And yet, I've never regretted the investment we made in the sprayer.  Never once.   That should give you an idea how much more of a return I feel we're getting with the investment we made in our tiling equipment. 

Have you ever heard the ole adage.... "You're paying for tile whether you have it or don't."?  That is so true in my opinion.  What I find beautiful about tile is.... if properly installed, it will last for generations... with minimal maintenance, if any maintenance at all.   Hard to beat that for an investment.  To further demonstrate my respect for tile.... we have some irrigation, that has profited us greatly in some years.  And yet, the irrigation pales in comparison to what the tile has meant for us.  Just sayin.

gordon

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)