AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do I cultivate this today?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Blusteryknollfarm
Posted 6/12/2016 22:09 (#5351687 - in reply to #5351598)
Subject: RE: Reread the post...objective is the clods...not the weeds

North Central Illinois
Thanks for all the feedback. I finished it and was going to take a few after pictures, but my phone died on me. I will try to remember to take a few pictures in the morning. Only about 5% of the field had this many weeds. 90% of the field had less than one visible weed per 3 feet of row.

Only the headlands are very cloddy. The bulk of the field worked nicely. Last year I hoed corn about this size, because I was stuck cultivating it too wet and there were small weeds that were in clods pushed into the row so I hoed afterward to dislodge them. I saw no damage of significance from the hoe.

On some weedy stuff, I pulled away from the rows with the lilliston, with the small spiders pushing a bit into the rows last Tuesday, then ran the sweep cultivator Friday and today. I still have some velvet leaf and jimson weed in the rows. Hopefully the weather cooperates and the corn will get enough size on it that I can really push a lot of dirt into the rows to bury the rest of the weeds in a week or so. I have never been around a flamer. Do you use yours much?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)